Wednesday, November 12, 2008

My Rhubarb Pie Recipe


Posted May-19-08 11:13:01 PDT
Dear friends... life has been so busy this time of year, as I'm sure you'd all agree with me that your life is, as well! Sigh! It seems the simpler you try to make things, the more complicated they become!
As usual, we have been busy at work around here. Mom and I FINALLY accomplished a project long on the to-do list, fueled by the fact that an unknown predator entered the barnyard and made off with one of the ducks. We built an enclosed run for the poultry to let them have access to the outdoors even during nighttime, and the fox or other critters will not have easy access to a midnight snack. It is customary to leave the geese and ducks outdoors all night during the summer, as they are brought into the confines of the immediate barnyard come evening and the two main gates are shut til morning. They are quite capable at fending off a fox or owl. But if a storm came during the night, they had no shelter from it, which meant I had to wake up and herd them into the barn. I couldn't leave the barn door open, as we had fishers and raccoons get in and cause devastation before, so we just had to enclose the area just outside the barn to keep them content and safe. Now I will plant Hops vines around the perimeter to create a nice, shady haven for them.
My oldest son and his girlfriend are expecting a baby boy in early July... my first grandbaby! She had a well-attended baby shower yesterday and recieved so many cute little outfits and such! When I got home, I planted some Black Pussywillows, a couple of Rugosa Roses and a half-dozen Balsam Fir seedlings in one pasture to provide some shade for the poultry and cuttings for me! It was cold and rainy, but a perfect time to plant. (Of course, I moved another two dozen strawberry plants while I was soaked!) Can you believe I am still transplanting strawberry plants? I am taking a chance, as they are in bloom right now... but the only other alternative is to toss them on the compost pile and I refuse! So I will dig up a new patch to put them in. And I think my neighbor may be interested in some, too!
We really needed the rain, as it has been dusty-dry. My potatoes are coming up, as well as the peas, corn, spinach, lettuce & other greens. I have hundreds of Dill, Morning Glory and Borage seedlings sprouting up between the Rhubarb and Welsh Onions.
The baby chicks are not babies any more and we will be moving them up to the barn in another week or two. They are lovely little things! Well, my Co Op Truck will be delivering soon, so I must sign off and get going! I will leave you with my Rhubarb Pie Recipe. Til next time... blessings from Laura of Wildenblue Farm!
Plain & Simple Rhubarb Pie
~Enough pastry for a double-crust pie~
6-8 cups fresh Rhubarb, cut into 1/2" chunks
1 1/2 cups Sugar
1/4 cup Brown Sugar
1/2 cup Flour
1/2 teaspoon Cinnamon
1 tablespoon Butter
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Roll out half the pastry and line the bottom of your pie-plate with this. Combine Rhubarb, both kinds of Sugar, Cinnamon and the Flour in a bowl... toss well. Pour into pastry-lined pan, dot with Butter and cover with remaining rolled-out pastry. Dip a pastry brush into milk and coat pastry top with this, then sprinkle with sugar. Bake for about 45 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment