Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Mozzarella Tomato Salad Recipe


Posted Feb-10-08 08:49:25 PST
Hello again, dear friends! I apologize for not updating my blog earlier, and I really have no excuse for not writing sooner, as not much new and interesting has been keeping me busy! However, I did have a new experience a weekend or two ago when my neighbors, Gary & Alice, invited me up to make cheese with them! Thus, mom & I headed a few miles up the road and spent a lovely afternoon involved in the process of making two batches of wonderfully fresh Mozzarella Cheese! I was amazed at how simple and short the process was, as well. I often purchase fresh softball-sized mozzarella from the Natural Food Co-Op in Vermont, but now we can make our own! Thanks again, Gary & Alice!!
I am in the process of ordering a variety of chicks for this coming spring, and have been pouring through the many, many seed catalogs in anticipation of this year's gardens. I had even been considering getting back into keeping Honeybees as I had in years past... but I'm not quite there yet. I had a recent conversation with a friend about getting a donkey... but I have not ventured there much, either! Sigh... spring fever can wreak havoc on a woman's mind! And it's only February!
Well, I will leave you now, as I do want to get those chicks ordered! I wish I had more to share, but I will leave you with a simple Mozzarella Tomato Salad recipe you may want to try. Til next time... and Happy Valentine's day greetings, as well! ~Laura of Wildenblue Farm
~Mozzarella Tomato Salad~
1 pound of Fresh Soft Mozzarella...
(either a Large Ball or the tiny golf-ball size)
6 or 8 Plum Tomatoes
1/2 Cup Balsamic Vinegar
A pinch or two of Coarse Sea Salt
1/4 Cup Olive Oil
1 or 2 cloves of Garlic, slivered
A few fresh Basil Leaves, torn into pieces
A few Tablespoons of Grated Parmesan Cheese... if desired

In a suitable bowl, slice the fresh Mozzarella into 1" cubes; do the same with the Plum Tomatoes. Sprinkle these with the coarse Sea Salt. Next, combine the Balsamic Vinegar with the Olive oil & pour over the cheese & tomatoes; toss together well. Add the slivered Garlic & the torn Basil Leaves, sprinkle in the Grated Parmesan, and toss well. Refrigerate for a few hours to let the flavors meld, then serve!
Sometimes, if I have the softball-size fresh Mozzarella, I simply slice the ball into 1/4" slices, top each piece with a slice of tomato, drizzle on a bit of oil & vinegar & top with crushed croutons & spreckle of sea salt for some delicious finger-food!

No comments:

Post a Comment