Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Garlic Fry-Bread Recipe For You!



Posted Sep-07-07 15:23:37 PDT
I spent a good share of yesterday morning stripping Catnip from its stalks. I had harvested and hung about two dozen bundles in the barn to dry, but it's been so humid that I could not accomplish anything else with it. Thus I took advantage of a cool, dry morning to get it stripped & stored! I ended up with a lovely four-gallon jar of fragrant organic Catnip! The cats were good company and just as content to loll about amongst the left-over bare stalks!
I also soaked the flower gardens around the Barn-Shop that had been transplanted in June. It has been amazingly dry this season, and the little rain we do get doesn't replenish anything as it should. I am still a bit sluggish... I received another Rabies Vaccine this morning, which means I only have to endure two others over the next three weeks... then I'm through with all of that! I will never know what bit me. Sigh...
I mosied about the other gardens; some of the Hollyhock seeds I planted are sprouting up! However, the weeds are teasing and taunting me... Oh, for cooler weather to return AND stay! I gathered a large bundle of prickly, pokey Teasel and set that aside to dry, and planted about a half-dozen rootlets of this in preparation for next year. The Bittersweet berries are still quite green; they are not showing even the slightest blush of color yet.
My daughter and I discussed supper possibilities and we quickly agreed upon Garlic Fry Bread. (again!!) This makes such a scrumptious supper with the addition of sliced tomatos and corn-on-the-cob! Mandy deems this "so much better than ordinary pancakes!" I agree! I hope you enjoy this recipe and adapt it to your preferences. Blessings to all, Laura of Wildenblue Farm
GARLIC FRY~BREAD
Coat a cast-iron skillet with oil and place over medium-high heat. Mix together
~1 cup White Flour, ~3/4 cup Whole Wheat Flour
~1/2 teaspoon Baking Powder, ~1 teaspoon Salt,
~1 teaspoon Garlic Powder, ~1 teaspoon Chili Powder
~1/4 cup grated Parmesan Cheese and
~1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon ground Cayenne Pepper
Mix well and add
~5 Tablespoons soft Butter.
Cut this in with a fork or pastry cutter til fine & crumbly. Then add
~1 cup Milk
~2 cloves pressed Garlic,
~1 cup Shredded Cheese ( Mexican OR Jalapeno OR X-Sharp)
~1 cup diced Ham (we use veggie ham)
Mix well... this makes a thick batter! Drop 1/4 Cup amounts of batter onto hot skillet, flatten with spatula to about 1/4 inch thickness. Fry on both sides for a few minutes to a deep golden brown. Serve with garlic butter (my favorite), hot sauce(Mandy's favorite) or Salsa! Enjoy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment