Monday, November 10, 2008

Garden News & Bee Balm Syrup Recipe



Posted Jul-11-07 08:03:42 PDT
My mother, daughter & I spent yesterday morning shoveling & wheelbarrowing peastones to line the pathways in the barnyard garden. It looks lovely!
I worked for a time out in the garden today in the rain... wonderful weather to plant perennials (from seed). I planted several rows of lavender, foxgloves, forget-me-nots and delphiniums. It is so much cheaper to do this than to buy established plants from the nursery, and planting them now gives them time to become established before cold weather sets in & slows them down. Plus, they have a headstart on blooming next year.
Next, I finally got around to putting out my gourd seedlings, which I started several months back. I'm ashamed to say they had begun blossoming in their tiny pots & were beginning to yellow. I supposed I'd take advantage of the showery afternoon to transplant a section of my Beebalm patch, and a cluster of rampant Morning Glorys... both to be planted in the new gardens by the barn/ shop. I just love red beebalm. Unfortunately, my daughter likes it even more, and if I don't watch her, she'll swarm in on a patch, pick off the petals & devour them before I know.
My friend Amy K. gave me a recipe for Bee Balm Syrup. Her husband hails from Sweden, and the recipe came from his family, if I'm not mistaken. It makes a delicious refreshing summer beverage...
BEE BALM SYRUP
Gather a good packed cup of Bee Balm petals. To 2 liters of boiling water, add 5 pounds of sugar. Pour the boiling sugar/ water over the petals, stir til dissolved. Cover & let sit overnight. The next day, dissolve 2 Tablespoons of Citric Acid (available at a pharmacy) in a small amount of boiling water. Add to the Bee Balm Syrup & stir. (It turns a lovely bright red!) Strain out the petals & store in a glass mason jar(s) in the fridge.
To Use: In a large glass of cold water or seltzer, stir in 1" or so of the syrup. Adjust to taste.

Thank you, Amy and Val!

No comments:

Post a Comment