Wednesday, November 12, 2008

August 1st 2008 Musings...


Posted Aug-01-08 06:07:51 PDT
My, my... August already...
Not a whole lot new lately, just trying to keep ahead of the weeding! I hoed out the strawberry patch; the weeds were shamefully tall. I've let the ducks and chickens scratch about in there to pick up any leftover rye seeds. Mom and I put in a few sections of split-rail fence near the garden shed, and I transplanted dozens of deep-purple "Grandpa Ott" morning glory seedlings all along it. The gourd vines are taking over the fence all around the berry garden, and the perennial seedlings are growing well and may be ready for transplanting into their permanent places near the barn. I ripped out some sod near the garden shed and dug in a small new perennial garden, and in place of the sod, filled in the new paths with peastone. I hauled out rocks from the woods to line the pathways and I must say everything is getting done! I cannot begin to imagine over this past season just how many stones we have hauled out of the woods! Now if we had a dollar for each one...
The Catnip and Tansy have been lush on account of the rain, so they've been harvested and hung to dry, along with some Yarrow. I just love seeing all those bunches hanging from the beams... it's satisfactual! I do hope the Catnip will come back for a second harvest, but I haven't had much luck with seconds in the garden, so I won't bank on it.
We have 8 new Guinea babies from the first batch of incubated eggs. The following day, mom started the second batch, and wouldn't you know the next day I discovered a third hidden nest, so mom stuck those 9 eggs into the incubator for a total of two dozen eggs waiting to hatch in the next few weeks. One of my Runner Ducks is also on a nest of eggs behind the barn door! Good grief!
I have begun to notice a few groups of Starlings and Crows flocking together. Yesterday morning, there were 15 crows flapping and flying noisily above the garden shed. Such silly creatures! I hope all is well with you and yours, and that you are enjoying the summer before it fades into fall. I do get tired of the summer heat and humidity, and all the garden chores that August tends to bring. And I do so love autumn, so it gives me something to look forward to!
I must be off, so I leave you with this little quote....
Summer is not so much a season as a melody, that tune of contentment we hum as the days begin to beautifully blur... Sarah Ban Breathnoch

No comments:

Post a Comment