Wednesday, November 12, 2008

August Company... Hot relish recipe


Posted Aug-16-08 17:03:43 PDT
I'm back once again, dear friends. Hope you are all happy and in good health. I must mention my little grandson is one month old today. (Thank you for allowing me that!)
My daughter, my mom and I headed a couple of hours west to pick up my friend Greg's daughter to spend a week or so with us. Kaitlyn is a year younger than Amanda, and darn good company for both of us! We've already laughed more than our fair share today, and you can well imagine what this week will hold!
The rain has dampened the gardens' ability to allow anything to ripen, save a few meager ears of Sweet Corn and a rare tomato or two. Even the zucchini, gourds and pumpkins appear trapped within a time-warp... it seems every time I check on their progress, they look the same as they did a week ago. I suppose a watched pot never boils, but even zucchini not growing rampantly?! Sigh...
We noted as we drove out towards Herkimer this morning that many of the maples and oaks are beginning to blush with autumn's colors. It seems awfully early, and I know it isn't because of drought. We shall see if this will be as early a fall as I think it will. I can't tell you how many chipmunks and squirrels have darted out in front of me as I take my early-morning walk, their cheeks bulging with the beginnings of their winter rations. Even the Blue Jays are making a racket in the thickets, most probably complaining about the greediness of those afore-mentioned rodents! I've also noticed the abundance of Queen-Anne's Lace and Chicory growing this summer. I love how the cobalt-y blue of the Chicory sparkles amongst the pure-white Queen Anne's Lace... it seems like both wildflowers are trying to bring a drifting of snowflakes-and-sky to these rural road's ditches.
We are anticipating the arrival in the next few days of the guinea keats and ducklings... I am curious to see what we end up with. I lost another adult Guinea last evening, so I am grateful for the new additions.
Well, I haven't included a recipe for a bit, so I will in this entry. It was given to me a number of years ago by Kaitlyn's dad, and I don't suppose he'll mind if I share it with you! My boys used to LOVE this on Hotdogs! And perhaps this is one reason my daughter douses everything she eats with Hot Sauce...
Greg's Old-Fashion Hot Relish
12 Sweet Red Peppers
12 Sweet Green Peppers
2 1/2 pounds Hot Peppers
10 Large Onions
2 Quarts Boiling Water
2 cups White Vinegar
2 cups Honey (or Sugar)
1 Tablespoon Salt
Chop all peppers & onions to desired size, cover with the boiling water and let steep for 5 minutes. Drain all the water off; set aside. Combine vinegar, honey (or sugar) and salt in a large pot, add the drained vegetables and boil together for 5 minutes. Put in sterilized jars and process in a Boiling Water Bath for 10 minutes. Yields approximately 9 pints of relish.

Well, it's getting dark, so I must head to the barn for chores. I wish you many blessings, and hope the remainder of August brings you joy! Til next time... ~Laura of Wildenblue Farm

No comments:

Post a Comment