Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Autumn Gardening & Wistful Musings


Posted Oct-10-07 20:52:58 PDT
Another day of tying up loose ends before the rain comes... it is predicted to rain for almost the next week with temperatures barely coming out of the 50's, and even a chance of snow showers... though I believe this is for the higher Adirondack Mountains. (Yet, I remember as a child going out "trick-or-treating" and having snow flurries, so anything is possible!)
This morning, after letting the chickens, ducks, geese & guineas out of the barn, I FINALLY got around to picking those very fragrant Concord Grapes that have been beckoning me. (Alright, I only picked about 8 pounds... but it's a start.) I washed, sorted & plucked them all from their stems & they await in the refrigerator to be made into jelly. I did not get a chance today, nor will I tomorrow, as mom & I and maybe Mandy are heading to Brattleboro & Putney, Vermont in the morning.
After the grapes were picked, I dug up & transplanted about two dozen Heritage Red Raspberries. These are autumn-bearing stragglers that faithfully keep coming up for over 10 years now. They have a new home in the Berry Garden after competing with Wild Iris and Gooseneck Loosestrife for far too long!
I harvested another 15 bundles of Sweet Annie & hung that to dry in the barn rafters. (The barn-shop is becoming quite full of Sweet Annie, Yarrow, Artemesia & Bittersweet... and it smells and looks beautiful!)
I came indoors and cut up a bowlful of apples and dumped them in a crockpot, along with a bit of sugar & some ginger & cinnamon. I left them to condense & cook most of the day and now have a lovely lot of applesauce. Then I finished in the kitchen by making a batch of Hazelnut Chocolate Chip Biscotti. It is amazing how first toasting the hazelnuts in the oven adds so much more flavor to any dish you use them in. (I love these Biscotti dipped in chocolate & then dipped in a steaming mug of coffee!)
I spent a good part of the afternoon making hang tags & getting them photographed & listed on Ebay. Mom has been busy at her sewing machine creating Sock Monkey dolls, homespun Aprons, primitive dolls & bowl fillers for selling in the Barn-Shop! Perhaps I will list a few goodies of hers tomorrow!
Well, my friends... I leave you with this lovely verse and many blessings til next time. ~Laura of Wildenblue Farm
O sweet Autumn, thy first breezes bring
The dry leaf's rustle and the squirrel's laughter,
The cool fresh air whence health and vigor spring
And promise of exceeding joy hereafter. ~George Arnold

No comments:

Post a Comment