Wednesday, April 1, 2009

April Fool's Day recipe


Hmmmm... If April showers bring May flowers, then what do May flowers bring??? PILGRIMS!

Good morning friends! Please pardon the awful April Fool's joke. Hope this first day of April finds you all well. I'm still waiting for the mud and muck to dry up to commence outdoor work. The snow in the fields is all but gone, though it remains throughout the woods. The barn critters are happily roaming the fields and scratching about once again, although we've had daily visits from a red-tailed hawk who's nabbed a few of the smaller chickens. They will feel safer once some foilage appears on the trees and plants, as everything is still bare and stark, which makes them easy prey.

I have collected a few dozen Goose Eggs over the past several weeks, and finally finished emptying them of their insides in preparation for decorating them. My daughter already claimed a few, and I've listed some for sale in my Etsy Shop. I used to display an Easter Tree when my children were younger.... I keep thinking I'll put it out again, but then think of the fun times the kittens would have tearing it apart in short order... so I won't do it after all!

I made Creme Brulee last week for dinner's dessert, and made a batch of Meringue Cookies with the left-over egg whites. I'll include the recipe for you to try... enjoy!

Meringue Cookies

Preheat your oven to 200 degrees. In a mixing bowl, combine 3 Egg Whites and 3/4 cup Sugar; beat with an electric beater for perhaps 8 minutes til the egg whites thicken and stiff peaks form and the mixture becomes glossy. Then add 1/2 teaspoon Vanilla Extract til blended together well. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper, and drop the meringues onto it using a tablespoon, keeping the cookies about two inches apart. Bake for about 1 hour... if they start to brown, lower the temperature to 175 degrees. After one hour, turn off the oven, but leave the meringues inside with the door closed so they dry for another 30 minutes. Cool and eat!

No comments:

Post a Comment