Wednesday, February 4, 2015

Tomato Corn Chowder


I never tire of homemade soup during the winter. just the smell of a pot of soup simmering on the stove brings comfort. I usually start a pot of soup early in the morning, and let it simmer throughout the day as I do various chores, stopping by to give it a stir as I run in and out. Nothing is as warming when you come in from outside shoveling or tending the chickens, except perhaps a cup of tea! This has been my favorite soup over the last few months... it's simple and quick to throw together.


Tomato Corn Chowder
In a large pot over medium heat, sauté
1-2 large Onions in a few tablespoons of Olive Oil
til soft and fragrant.
Add 3-4 cloves of pressed Garlic
and sauté for another minute or two.
Add 3 quarts canned Tomatoes and
1 quart bag of frozen Corn (or 2 cans)
Next add about ½ cup Sugar (more or less to taste)
1 Tablespoon dried Basil
1 teaspoon Sea Salt
½ teaspoon ground Black Pepper
½ teaspoon Cayenne Pepper (if desired)
1 Tablespoon Garlic Powder


Let simmer on the stove-top for at least an hour, preferably 2 or three, stirring often and adding water as needed. I like thick soup, so I only add a bit at a time. You can season this as you wish; sometimes I add a bit of Chipotle seasoning for a different flavor. Mostly, I like to keep it simple. Sprinkle with shredded Asiago or Parmesan Cheese before serving. This soup is a great accompaniment to a Grilled Cheese and Onion sandwich!


No comments:

Post a Comment