Tuesday, November 11, 2008

My Hazelnut Biscotti Recipe


Posted Dec-16-07 12:38:07 PST
Good afternoon to all you faithful readers! We are in the midst of another winter storm. High winds are predicted, so I thought perhaps I should get to the task at hand lest the power goes out. All the geese, ducks, guineas & chickens are snug in the barn... I did not let them venture outside today as it is too cold & windy. They were bedded with extra straw last night against the impending weather. I will have to head down shortly to bring grain & water to them and collect any eggs before they freeze! I refuse to purchase eggs from the food co-op, so they have become as precious as gold lately, as I am lucky to get one per day.
As I walked to the barn last night, I looked out over the fields nearest me and watched as a half-dozen deer headed behind the garden shed towards the woods. It was getting dark when I came back to the house, but I hung several bunches of evergreen boughs along the fence before going inside. I had that eerie feeling you get when you sense you are being watched, and I glanced out towards the garden. I could see the silhouttes of two dozen deer, ears perked up and frozen in their tracks as they watched me go about my business. I was surprised that they did not run off, tjust watched for a few minutes, then continued on their way!
I've had at least five crows visiting the bird-feeders daily, along with dozens of bluejays, 5 woodpeckers, two grey squirrels and two red squirrels, many chickadees, snowbirds, titmice, sparrows, a beautiful red cardinal, and a solitary mourning dove. The finches do not come about anymore... perhaps the large crows frighten them away. The Guinea hens will occasionally fly up to the bird-feeders & will dive at the crows and scare them off. I bought a feeder that attaches to the window with suction cups... the cats love watching the birds come & go!
I have included a recipe for you for my favorite Biscotti; excellent to have on hand should company drop in for coffee! I would like to wish everyone Happy Holidays, and may you all be blessed with the warm spirit of the season. Merry Christmas from Laura of Wildenblue Farm!
Laura's Hazelnut Biscotti
In a pre-heated 325-degree oven, toast 1 1/2 cups of HAZELNUTS for 10 minutes. Let cool, then rub them between your hands to remove as much of the skins as possible; chop half of them & set them all aside.
In a medium-size bowl, toss together 2 1/2 cups FLOUR, 1 1/4 cups SUGAR, 1 teaspoon BAKING POWDER, a pinch or two of SALT, all the HAZELNUTS & 1 cup of CHOCOLATE CHIPS. Next add 4 EGGS, 1 tablespoon VANILLA EXTRACT & 1 tablespoon of instant coffee granules mixed with 2 tablespoons hot water. Mix by hand... the dough will be thick & sticky. Form this dough into two logs about a foot long each. (Make sure to flour your hands!) Place on a greased or parchment-lined cookie sheet & bake for about 20 minutes. Let cool & drop the oven temperature to 275 degrees. Slice the cooled logs into half-inch-thick slices; place cut-side down & bake again for about 15 minutes. Turn off oven, leave door ajar & let Biscotti dry & cool in oven.

No comments:

Post a Comment