Sunday, March 20, 2016

Spring

What better way to usher in the Vernal Equinox than to include some sentimental quotes from John Burroughs


 To see the fire that warms you, or better yet, to cut the wood that feeds the fire that warms you;
to see the spring where the water bubbles up that slakes your thirst and to dip your pail into it;
to see the beams that are the stay of your four walls and the timbers that uphold the roof that shelters you; to be in direct and personal contact with the sources of your material life; to find the universal elements enough; to find the air and the water exhilarating; to be refreshed by a morning walk or an evening saunter; to find a quest of wild berries more satisfying than a gift of tropical fruit; to be thrilled by the stars at night; to be elated over a bird's nest or a wild flower in spring- these are some of the rewards of the simple life.


I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.


Oh, Spring is surely coming, her couriers fill the air; each morn are new arrivals, each night her ways prepare; I scent her fragrant garments, her foot is on the stair.


I still find each day too short for all the thoughts I want to think, all the walks I want to take, all the books I want to read, and all the friends I want to see.

No comments:

Post a Comment