Friday, January 15, 2016

Gluten-Free (or not) Single Serve English Muffin (or Bread)

I am always shocked by the cost of gluten free foods and mixes from a grocery store. At the co-op yesterday, I spotted a (small)loaf of bread for $8.00 and change. YIKES! I make my own gluten free flour blend, 20 pounds at a time, and store it in an old tin I purchased years ago from Lehman's (https://www.lehmans.com/p-3100-tin-lard-cans.aspx) The recipe is simple, I purchase 5# bulks of each ingredient from the buying club I've run for years, and just mix it all together very well. I use it cup for cup in most all non-gluten-free and gluten free recipes I've collected over the years, and add about a half-teaspoon of xanthan gum per cup of flour blend in any given recipe. I simply combine equal measures of Brown Rice Flour, Mochi Sweet White Rice Flour, Potato Starch and Tapioca Flour, and store it in a cool cupboard.
Back to the bread... I do not eat bread as much as I used to, I will not pay crazy prices to have gluten free bread on hand, and I don't like freezing gf bread once I've made a loaf. I do like an occasional sandwich, piece of toast or an English Muffin... especially when there is just-made Raspberry Jam or Maple Cream available to slather on it. So I make a batch(or two as I did this time) to get a single serving of toast or muffin.


Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. (You can also cook this on a stovetop and flip it like a pancake... I just prefer baking it in the oven.) I made two this time... so I doubled the following recipe...
In a small bowl, combine 1/3 cup gluten free flour blend, 1 large egg, 1/4 cup milk with 1/2 teaspoon AC Vinegar in it to curdle it for a minute or two(any kind... I use Almond milk), 1/4 teaspoon xanthan gum, 1/4 teaspoon baking powder, and a teaspoon of maple syrup or honey.



Mix well, and pour into a greased pan. (I used these perfectly sized cast iron pans from my collection, you can find them at Lehman's or on Amazon, if not at your local hardware store.) You can also add garlic and cheese, herbs, whatever your tastebuds like! Bake for 6 or 7 minutes on one side, flip over, and bake another 5 or 6 minutes til nice and brown. Let cool for at least 20 minutes before slicing, or they may get gummy. These are great to slice and throw in a toaster too!


I've used these for egg and cheese sammies, english muffins, toast, and as the base for a single-serve pizza. I've made cheesy garlic bread too! Enjoy!
If you're not gluten intolerant, just omit the xanthan gum, and simply use regular flour.

No comments:

Post a Comment