Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Waiting for snow...

Sounds of Winter
by Lucille Crumley

I can remember when I was a child
The winters were stormy, the winters were wild.
Snow fell early and soft on the ground;
The glistening of ice-coated trees all around;
Crisp crunching of snow crusts under my feet;
The beat on my window of cold driving sleet.

The thump of an axe by the shrinking woodpile...
The shoveling of snow off the walk to the stile;
Singing skate blades flashing by on the lake...
The lowing of cattle in the windbreak;
Church bells calling at twilight's last glow
From over the hills all blue-white with snow
.
The soft hiss of sled runners cutting deep traces;
Shrill shouts of children on sledding's best places;
The wind song's moan in the tall pine trees...
dripping of water as icicles freeze.
A blue jay's harsh call when he's hungry at dawn...
It seems since I'm older these sounds have all gone.

Now I sit by the fire as it crackles and snaps
And close my eyes tightly, just thinking perhaps.
I can hear all the sounds and all the sights see
Of the winters that came to the once little me.

6 comments:

  1. awww that is so sweet Laura! Sending love and light to you and yours xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Leslie! Always so good to hear from you! xox ~Laura

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness!!! That is so beautifully written!! Thank You Laura for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Pammy! How are you? I'll tell you what... I wish I had your Green Tomato Pecan Bread recipe back when I still had green tomatoes in my garden! And the Marmalade sounds wonderful!!! Happy December, Pammy! xox ~Laura

    ReplyDelete
  5. green tomato pecan bread recipe?! ooooo I need to go search Pammy's blog for that! xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Let me know if you make it, Leslie; it sounded sooo good, but I think my tomatoes would be black now if I left any under the snow!
    You should try her Lemon Bars... just finished off another pan yesterday! They're to die for!

    ReplyDelete